Textbook Turkey Hunt

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Textbook Turkey Hunt

Post by down4dacount » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 am

I picked up Christopher from school and we were on our way . Got to my hunt area to try to roost a bird . After a few hundred yards hadn't seen a bird . As the sun was settling . I made my way back slowly glassing some roost areas , again nothing . I knew there's birds in the area but would be nice to pinpoint exactly where . As we worked slowly around an oak head I heard bird fly up close . I looked around the corner and bingo . A few hens and a nice longbeard . Long and sleepless night ahead . Perfect setup too , hens were in one tree and gobbler was 60 yards from hens . We made our way in real quiet cause we had to walk 20 yards from their roost and set up in front of hens . We were setup perfect . As daylight start to break ,the woods started coming to life . The first crow calls rang out and 3 birds to the west gobbled , then from front , back and bam , a bird 40 yards away . At this point my heart was racing . The hens were purring and light yelping . He hammered back , I made a few purrs and soft yelps and he gobbles again . Few minutes pass by and I hear him fly down . I look to my right and I see a bird but couldn't tell what it was . I loose sight off it , a minutes passes then hear drumming no further than 20 yards to my right . I tell Jr to look to the right and all the sudden a gobble rings out that echoed in our heads . He's really close and again drumming . Man I can taste victory soon . All the sudden he appears 12 yards in front . Drumming and gobbling and heading straight for my hen decoy . Jr sees him and he's shaking and I could hear his heart beating . At 10 yards he gobbles , doesn't get any better . After a few minutes putting on a show , I raise my gun and Boom , lights out . Bird just drop dead , no flop . The hens were still up on the tree and trying to figure out what happened . Their man was dead . They flew down and stayed for a few minutes . After they left , I picked up my bird and high fived and Jr said that was awesome as he was still shaking . One of the best hunts I've had and quickest . I was done by 6:45 am . 8-7/8" beard , 1-1/4" spurs and 17 lbs .
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Textbook Turkey Hunt

Post by treefarmer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am

Good stuff as always! :clap
Treefarmer

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Great story. Congratulations to both of you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Sweet, congrats

P'duck
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by P'duck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Congrats and what a read, felt like I was there!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Pretty bird.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Very nice! Always good to see your posts.

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”