side arm on WMA?

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: side arm on WMA?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 pm

well, I have to look at it like this (and your point is valid)...

If a confiscation is coming...what guns I didn't lose in the canoe accident and the rest I lost in a snow mobile accident...will be buried in a polyethylene tank in timbuktu where only me and God know the location, and I will only keep a beater to two for protection that they will have to pry from me when I am dead

I actually know of a couple people who have a CWP and do not own a gun
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm

yup the ccl is just a license, doesn't show that you actually bought anything.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm

The 2012 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
View Entire Chapter
790.335 Prohibition of registration of firearms; electronic records.—
(1) LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS AND INTENT.—
(a) The Legislature finds and declares that:
1. The right of individuals to keep and bear arms is guaranteed under both the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and s. 8, Art. I of the State Constitution.
2. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a law enforcement tool and can become an instrument for profiling, harassing, or abusing law-abiding citizens based on their choice to own a firearm and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution. Further, such a list, record, or registry has the potential to fall into the wrong hands and become a shopping list for thieves.
3. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a tool for fighting terrorism, but rather is an instrument that can be used as a means to profile innocent citizens and to harass and abuse American citizens based solely on their choice to own firearms and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution.
4. Law-abiding firearm owners whose names have been illegally recorded in a list, record, or registry are entitled to redress.
(b) The Legislature intends through the provisions of this section to:
1. Protect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under both the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and s. 8, Art. I of the State Constitution.
2. Protect the privacy rights of law-abiding firearm owners.
(2) PROHIBITIONS.—No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms.
(3) EXCEPTIONS.—The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(a) Records of firearms that have been used in committing any crime.
(b) Records relating to any person who has been convicted of a crime.
(c) Records of firearms that have been reported stolen that are retained for a period not in excess of 10 days after such firearms are recovered. Official documentation recording the theft of a recovered weapon may be maintained no longer than the balance of the year entered, plus 2 years.
(d) Firearm records that must be retained by firearm dealers under federal law, including copies of such records transmitted to law enforcement agencies. However, no state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, private or public, shall accumulate, compile, computerize, or otherwise collect or convert such written records into any form of list, registry, or database for any purpose.

Full text here....http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 0.335.html

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 am

even during many archery seasons it is legal to hunt migratory birds with centerfire shotguns. carry when you can and want to, but do it legally. cwp or otherwise and always know your rights and laws/regulations. Mr. lolo is 100% correct!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Oh crap... Sorry about the duplicate thread I just posted :(

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:20 pm

^^ I just deleted it, since the info you are looking for is here
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm

nachogrande wrote:I think a lot of it comes down to: do you want to spend your day doing what you went there to do, OR proving to someone who doesn't know shart from shinola that you are right and waste precious time and give yourself stress. that's up to you. who's the bigger fool? the fool who doesn't know or the one that argues with one?

X20 :saluting
Bossman

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Wow. . . Just wow

So today at work a wildlife officer came in. I asked him about open carry in wma.
He started telling me about a law they passed. The statute number ended in 44 or 45... I really don't remember. I meant to write it down. I have seen him before, so if I see him again I will ask.
Anyway the law states if you are camping, hunting, or on your way to camping and/or hunting you are allowed to open carry.
He went on to tell me how people have taken advantage of this. He said there was a guy who walked into a CVS pharmacy with a rifle slung around him.
Naturally the store freaked out and called the cops. It was a scene he said, but at the end of the day, because of the technicality of the law and the fact that he was able to prove he was on his way to hunting he was not arrested.

I would recommend it and honestly I don't plan to open carry even in a wma til I can find the law.
But crazy if true

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Yep thats been a law for a while now. To and from hunting, fishin you can open carry

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I had a run in with some indian cops once and that law came up in the conversation. It was hard to argue with me considering I had my rhino on the back of the truck, was in camo and it was opening day of turkey season.

Bigbird
scout

Post by Bigbird » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I spend quite a bit of time in a management area as I live by one. I have asked the FWC officer I see out there and the Regional office in Ocala and have received the same reply. As long as you are hiking, camping, hunting or fishing you can legally open carry a sidearm. You cannot take game unless it is lawful to do so at that time. My daughter is under 21 and this also applies to her. I could not get a straight answer as to if she was by herself if it applied. Was told by the FWC locally and regional as well as the Sherriff's Dept that the 21 and over law only applies to purchasing, not to carrying while engaged in a lawful activity, i.e. hiking, hunting, fishing, camping or target shooting. City cops have a different view however so I guess it would depend on who showed up.

I see the FWC officer here and there, never says anything or harasses me about my sidearm. I always just get general questions, like what you doing today, have you seen anything, yada-yada-yada.

I guess it comes down to doing what you a comfortable with.
Yesterday is the tomb of time, and tomorrow is the womb of time. Only now is yours.

:pow Remember Jerry Elliott and Billy D Hill - Jan 1968

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 am

You can get your CWP with your Hunter Safety Cert.
I like animals, they are tasty!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:18 pm

H60mech wrote:Hey guys, I'm just wondering if it is legal or permitted to carry a side arm on WMA property without a concealed permit while hunting?
:rockon :army

yes
you can hunt with one.

Some say you don't want the hassle because of uneducated people that just wrong don't be scared of your rights.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am

That's a very good point!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:35 pm

I have hunted with one. Problem is its still a virgin.

Return to “WMA FORUM”