small outboard motor ???

Sell all your Fishing Gear or buy Gear here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

small outboard motor ???

Post by 30.06 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:09 pm

since my grampa has been in the hospital and nursing home i have had some spare time and have gotten his boat cleaned, trailer roadworthy, and am ready to get a motor that works. i have 3 motors that dont work. the 15 hp johnson might be salvageable, and i have been looking for a newer small outboard 25 horses or less to buy and use. i plan on using this boat for fishing and hunting. any advice would be appreciated as i am new to the outboard motor world. would i be better off to fix the 15 hp i have, or buy a used or new motor. i found a 15hp force motor that i could get cheap, but cheap and good dont usually go together.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: small outboard motor ???

Post by swissk31 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I suggest steering clear of the Force motors as parts are no longer available. If looking for used try for Yamaha or evinrudes/johnsons.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Give us a little more information on the boat and the motors that you have. The length of the boat has a lot to play if you need a bigger motor or if a 15 hp is enough. you might be able to spend $200 to have it fixed or $2,000 to have an easy way out. any pics of the boat and motor might help.

:saluting
Bossman

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by DONY1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I may be interested in a non running 15hp Johnson if you're looking to get rid of it?

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am

the boat is made by Orlando clipper. it is fiberglass about 14 ft long, with three rows of benches. a friend of the family wants to sell me an older mercury 25 hp, and i have a 15 hp johnson that was on the boat. the johnson motor is older i am guessing 70s, maybe 60s. it used to run fine but i believe it is in need of a carb cleaning, plugs, and probably a new foot. the old foot has a large crack in the left side if looking at the motor from the back. i also have an old chryler 3.6 hp outboard that just needs carb cleaned or rebuilt, plugs, and new fuel lines. the 3rd motor i have is ancient, unidentifiable, and feels locked up. if i cant fix that old johnson your welcome to buy it dony1. thanks swissk i will steer clear of em!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 am

Parts for 70s johnson are pretty good with some exceptions. What's the model number I can look it up. We switched to a 1980 35 evinrude and are very happy with the ability to get parts. Our first outboard was a 75 mercury so we got real familiar on whats available on them. What year is the mercury, do you think? parts are drying up for them. For the older motors Johnson and Evinrude still have good supply or parts and there are a lot out there. The Chrysler is valuable to someone that has one they are restoring. I'd sell it for parts. You would make someone out there happy to find it.

Return to “FISHING GEAR BUY/SELL”