Introducing Str8shooter

New member GREAT! introuduce your self here. tell a little about yourself.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Str8shooter
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Introducing Str8shooter

Post by Str8shooter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 am

Great welcome replies. Thank you all.

Yes upstate NY is beautiful. I live in the Rochester/Monroe County area. That is between Buffalo and Syracuse. Two Great Lakes are nearby. Ontario is in spitting distance and Erie is about 90 minutes away. I usually fish the Finger Lakes or the bays off Lake Ontario. Living at the foothills of Bristol Mountain, game is aplenty too. That said, NY state winters are colder than a witch's...... It will be nice to deal with the heat problem for a change.

I am looking forward to making contributions here. That's the fastest way to get acquainted and make lasting friendships in my opinion. I could use some guidance regarding hog hunting after I get settled. Although I never had the chance to try that before, it is something I have always wanted to attempt.

Rob
BE WELL OR AS WELL AS YOU CAN BE

XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by XD45 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:31 pm

welcome
2012 archery-1 doe

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 pm

my family lived up that way in lima for a few years. dad went to bible college up there. very beautiful area.

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Wow, very cool. I use to live in Honeoye Falls. That was just down the road from Lima.

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:25 am

Hi there again new buddies.

Just wanted to say I returned to New York State from Florida as a Floridian. I bought a modest home in Silver Springs on Mill Dam Lake. When I switched my NY driver’s license for a FL, I bought a resident’s fishing license too. Now all I have to do is wait 6 months before I can apply for a free hunting/fishing license because of my disability. Anybody also retired too, wanting to get out more, and have company in your boat when you do should send me an email (str8shooter_usa@yahoo.com) or message. Have no problem at all sharing expenses for gas, snacks, and bait. Want to keep busy and meet new people. Won’t know a soul in Florida. Figure I’ll get the annual permit to ride the ATV in the forest too. Lots to do when I get down there for real. Looking to buy a boat and maybe an electric 4x4 to sneak into the forest. Also want to pick up a pistol for hunting, but have never owned or even shot one before. Could use your input as to what I should get and where I might pre-fire before buying one. Will probably be shooting from a seated position. I was thinking 357 magnum would be sufficient for deer, hogs, and even bear. Your thoughts. Feel a bit like a kid again exploring and anticipating a new adventure. Just need to wait until I get through some business matters here, finish packing, and hire movers. Hey thanks for making me feel welcome. Really.

Rob

Pochop7
Assistant Patrol Leader

Introducing Str8shooter

Post by Pochop7 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am

Most of the gun ranges here have handguns you can rent to see what you like before you buy. I usually just go with friends and end up shooting each others guns

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 am

Welcome from your Canadian neighbor :cheers

Cheer and safe hunting
yes, there is another Rob (me)

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Now a permanent Florida resident although still settling in. Gimme (str8shooter_usa@yahoo.com) a shout if we can get out to fish or hunt this fall. Have lost some contact information from here so if you called before, please call again. Thanks.

Rob

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Welcome back. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Welcome!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! My great grandfather, and grandmother came from your neck of the woods. Rochester, Olean, and they spent time in other areas up that way. My great grandfather was a machinist for eastman kodak, and a lifetime member of the nra. He hunted new york, and ontario. I have his rifle, pistols, and parker bros shotgun. I like to hunt Ocala for deer and turkey but i have never seen hogs up there. again welcome to the forum and florida when you arrive!!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 am

Hey Str8shooter, welcome to the forum. There are a few of us on here that's retired...at least once. I retired from the USCG back in 2003 but now have another career as a pastor at my church. Been busier now than I ever was in the Coast Guard. Just can barely squeek time in about once or twice a year to hunt. Some of the folks on here hunt/fish all the time though so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to go with. Anyhow, good to have you on the forum and welcome to Florida!

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 am

I am again amazed at the friendliness of the people here in my new state. Thanks for all the welcome messages. What I am missing is the closeness of hunting and fishing buddies in the real world. I have met some good people since I got here, but only 2 fish and nobody hunts. I just bought a used 17’ bass boat that needs a little work before I can launch it. Currently, I’m giving serious thought about upgrading my ATV to a side-by-side UTV for the forest. I have all the equipment for hunting with bow, gun, pistol, and muzzleloader. If anyone is in the Silver Springs area and can stand one more fishing or hunting buddy then let me know. We can get out to fish or shoot whenever you can. I am retired. Although somewhat disabled, I still feel the need to remain active in the outdoors.
Rob

Return to “NEWBIES FORMAL FORUM”