Moving to Tallahassee from Baton Rouge, Louisiana!

New Members go here first. Here is all your information on Introductions, Posting Pictures, Avatars, and every thing you need to know first.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Rahllin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Moving to Tallahassee from Baton Rouge, Louisiana!

Post by Rahllin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 am

Howdy, Floridians! At the end of this month, I am moving my girlfriend to Tallahassee to start grad school at Florida State, I will be moving myself there in about 3 months from now once I am able to transfer to my job there. I have worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors for the last 2 years, and I will be transferring to the new store being built in Tallahassee! If everything works out with that, I am sure I will get to meet many of you in the Tallahassee area, while working there, as I work the Hunting and Fishing department currently.

Now, I have lived in Louisiana my entire life, and I have been going down to my family's camp in Grand Isle, Louisiana for awesome inshore saltwater fishing my entire life, so I will be looking for as much advice on the closest saltwater to Tallahassee, and where the fishing is good. I fish mainly specks and reds, and I will also be looking for good surf/wade fishing until I am able to get myself a little boat. I recently tinkered with the kayak fishing thing, so I will have access to that style of fishing before I get a boat. ANY and all advice on this these types of fishing closest to Tallahassee would be great!

I have NEVER been a freshwater fisherman, but I may have to get into it to tide me over, so advice on freshwater fishing around Tallahassee would also be useful!

I don't really hunt, but I am a gun guy, I am more a handgun guy, but love to shoot! I have been an avid member on the bayoushooter.com forums for the past few years, and I love the atmosphere there, but I guess I need to start looking for that style of forum community local to Florida! I guess I will also have to start looking for somewhere to shoot around Tallahassee! If there is a range in (or close) to Tallahassee that sells memberships would be of interest to me as well!

Well, that is enough about my current interests, but hopefully I can look forward to some good advice from everyone here, and look forward to potentially meeting some of you guys once I move there in a few months!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Joe (Rahllin)

P.S. Oh, and I know it may piss many of you off, but one of the things that I will miss the most about leaving Baton Rouge, Louisiana is leaving my Tigers! I am an avid LSU Tigers fan, and tailgating at 6am for a 7pm home game was a regular occurrence in my Fall schedule! GEAUX TIGERS! Oh, and I am a Saints fan as well, so I hope I don't piss any of you off too bad come football season! :ban

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Re: Moving to Tallahassee from Baton Rouge, Louisiana!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum! If you're used to driving from Red Stick to Grand Isle for fishing, you won't mind the drive down to the Gulf from Tallahassee. In fact, heading south from Tally you'll hit US Hwy 98 which you can follow west and drive right along the Gulf to Carrabelle, then Eastpoint, then Apalachicola, on over to Port St. Joe and Mexico Beach area. At Eastpoint you can take the bridge over to St George Island, and there you'll find fishing similar to Grand Isle, or at least what I remember of Grand Isle from back around 1980! I haven't been up to the Apalachicola area in may years so I can't be specific on places to go, but maybe some others on here know a few things about it.

I'm sure you'll find places to shoot in Tally, and don't worry about being a Tiger fan, except when they play the Gators! Then you're in for it, for sure! Same goes for when the Aints play the Bucs! But it's all good, and we can take as good as we get, so jump right on in!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Welcome
There are some areas to the east from where Gary is talking about. St. Marks has a ton of wading and skinny water fishing spots.
Also if you go another few miles you can access the gulf thru Spring Creek and Snipe Island and the fishing is incredible

Oh and BTW, glad to have another SEC fan to help me set these Gayturds straight
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Welcome to the site. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

omegafoo
scout

Post by omegafoo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Fishing opportunities from Tallahassee are almost endless. I don't know about your drive in LA but, depending on where you live, the coast can be reached between 10 to 45 min.

There are several shooting opportunities around here as well. A public range that, IMO, gets a little scary at times. I've left for the fear of my life once or twice. Most of the time, however, it's not too bad. There's also the private range down in Crawfordville. It's the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office but is open to the public as long as they're not using it and costs $10/visit or $75/year, if I remember right. There's also a club in Woodville as well.

If you want a shooting forum for around here you can check out the Tallahassee Gun Forum. It's all things shooting for people who live here in Tallahassee.

Welcome to the area. It's a great place to live...until the college students come back to town :innocent and the crooks at the legislature return for session :censored BTW, watch out on running red lights around here. They've gone buck wild on adding red light cameras and it'll run you $158/pop ( I avoid those intersections unless I have to :) )

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Welcome to the outdoors!

Rahllin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by Rahllin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 am

omegafoo wrote:Fishing opportunities from Tallahassee are almost endless. I don't know about your drive in LA but, depending on where you live, the coast can be reached between 10 to 45 min.

There are several shooting opportunities around here as well. A public range that, IMO, gets a little scary at times. I've left for the fear of my life once or twice. Most of the time, however, it's not too bad. There's also the private range down in Crawfordville. It's the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office but is open to the public as long as they're not using it and costs $10/visit or $75/year, if I remember right. There's also a club in Woodville as well.

If you want a shooting forum for around here you can check out the Tallahassee Gun Forum. It's all things shooting for people who live here in Tallahassee.

Welcome to the area. It's a great place to live...until the college students come back to town :innocent and the crooks at the legislature return for session :censored BTW, watch out on running red lights around here. They've gone buck wild on adding red light cameras and it'll run you $158/pop ( I avoid those intersections unless I have to :) )
I will have to check that forum out as well. I am very used to red light cameras, they are extremely brutal here as well, so hopefully I will be able to weed them out without any incidents. Last time I was in Tallahassee, my girlfriend and I were going from one apartment complex to another all day, in and out of the car. We finally decided to hop in a go a half mile down the road to get something to eat, and we both got popped with not having our seatbelts on. I didn't even know it was possible for the passenger to get a $124 seatbelt ticket as well as the driver! :crap: And where I come from seatbelt tickets are $25, not $124! Oh well, I learned my lesson!

Thanks for the welcome from everyone else, I am sure I will be hitting some of you up for fishing info soon enough!

XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by XD45 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 am

welcome
2012 archery-1 doe

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome!!!

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 am

welcome to the site!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “NEW MEMBERS GO HERE FIRST!!!”