New from ... Indiana!

New Members go here first. Here is all your information on Introductions, Posting Pictures, Avatars, and every thing you need to know first.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

36fan
scout

Re: New from ... Indiana!

Post by 36fan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:05 pm

lamehawk wrote:Enjoy the time spent here it will be good also there should be some mushrooms poppin by the time u get back.
They've been sprouting for a couple of weeks with the unseasonably warm weather we have been having. A co-worker of mine told me he found ~130 in eveining this week. How's this for a morel:

We made it down last night - and I've decided I hate Georgia. Traffic was horrible from the south side of Atlanta to the border. Georgia DO was replacing reflectors in the middle lane of hte I-75 at 5:30 on Friday evening of Spring Break ... genius.
:chain

GoodOyster - we are headed to the camp tonight - should be leaving the south side of Tampa in an hour or so. See you there!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I am surprised you started hating GA on the side side of Atlanta, I avoid that town like the plaque no matter which way I am coming from........
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:45 pm

They been working on that road for the last 20 years.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:16 am

Welcome aboard! You'll find some good info and advice on here. :toast

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

hmmm... the pic is showing a red X, and I can't figure out how to edit my post, so I'll try posting it this way:

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 pm

A friend and I went hunting with "Trapper Dan" on Sunday. Mike and his crew were great - the stand hunt was unproductive, the first set of dogs over-heated, and Mike got another set of dogs in to chase the oinkers. My buddy was just going to tag along for the experience, but he ended spearing a hog, too.

I didn't have the means to process the hog myself while down here and ended up taking it a local processor. The guy kept going on about how good the meat looked, how clean the meat was, and the neat the quartering was.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Nice going :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 pm

That's outstanding, 36fan! It was cool to meet you and your friend, and I am glad trapper dan got you on the hogz! He told me Sunday that y'all had speared the hogs, and I was hoping you'd post the story.

PM me your contact info, and keep in touch here, please. You may live in Indy, but you're now part of the FOHAF Pig Posse! So is your buddy, so talk him into joining us here!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Pochop7
Assistant Patrol Leader

New from ... Indiana!

Post by Pochop7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 am

Nice hogs! Wish I could have stayed the whole weekend.

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Well, i'm back at home now. I managed to fit my wife, three kids, my hunting gear, all of their stuff to spend a week in FL, a cooler full of hog meat, and a smaller cooler with a hog head in it all in a Ford Fusion for the return trip. It's a good thing I've taught my wife how to pack light over the last 20 years! The road trip back was a safe journey even though my oldest son threw up in the car, and the trip up I-75 was not enjoyable. There was a wreck near Ocala that had I-75 closed, and then, of course, the trip through Georgia was awful.

We ended up jumping of the interstate and heading west to 41. My kids loved it because we were on "Bucksnort Road" in Butts County. While we were cruising up 41, the Atlanta Motor Speedway appeared in front of us. All told it took us about 8 hours to get through GA, but that also included a fuel stop, lunch, and a bathroom stop. Next time I come down to FL I am going to go around GA!

We'll have to see what I can coerce my wife into letting me hunt the next time she wants to go FL for Spring Break ... I'm thnking maybe a gator hunt...
:innocent

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

you just have to leave indiana at the right time. you have to hit atlanta in the middle of the night, somewhere around 2 to 3 am. i have made the trip to indiana probably 40 times or so and we always make better time when we hit atl in the middle of the night. smooth sailing. we went up in november and hit it at about that time and we sailed thru, stopped somewhere in the ghetto and re-fueled, only people there was us, the cops and some suspect lookin dudes. no bubbles no troubles. atlanta is exactly halfway to our normal destination up there, so if we figure 8 hours to atlanta we leave around 5 or 6 in the afternoon we hit it just right.

Pochop7
Assistant Patrol Leader

New from ... Indiana!

Post by Pochop7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 am

houseofmicah wrote:you just have to leave indiana at the right time. you have to hit atlanta in the middle of the night, somewhere around 2 to 3 am. i have made the trip to indiana probably 40 times or so and we always make better time when we hit atl in the middle of the night. smooth sailing. we went up in november and hit it at about that time and we sailed thru, stopped somewhere in the ghetto and re-fueled, only people there was us, the cops and some suspect lookin dudes. no bubbles no troubles. atlanta is exactly halfway to our normal destination up there, so if we figure 8 hours to atlanta we leave around 5 or 6 in the afternoon we hit it just right.
I agree try to go through Atlanta around 2am. Sometimes that doesn't work (construction or accident). I hate Atlanta with a passion lol. Unfortunately I'll be seeing it within the next week

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 am

Ive been fortunate going thru ATL I guess. I actually would rather drive thru there than thru Wildwood/Ocala area and Valdosta. Seems like I always run into something there
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 pm

I think the problem was just volume from Spring Breakers, snowbirds, and Easter traffic. It wasn't just Atlanta, the traffic through the entire state was horrible. Although, part of the problem is that it seems Georgians don't know what "Keep right except to pass" means. I passed a lot more cars cruising in the slow lane than in the passing lane.

This is my first experience driving to FL on Spring Break. Now I know to go through Georgia in the middle of the night.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 am

Sweet deal a decent sized Shroom,lol,I hope you get to find a few of those.A few friends that have hunted the family land have found around 300 so far but no new ones,need rain!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “NEW MEMBERS GO HERE FIRST!!!”