Should I go, or should I wait?

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Should I go, or should I wait?

Post by Bossman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Well today I started to hunt the ole big boy stand and decided to hunt another stand and walked into a lucky morning. The morning started out with a early morning that I wasn't sure of but went and hunted an old cut down. After sitting there for about a hour and grunting several times with my mouth I noticed some movement the I didn't understand. I saw another small movement but couldn't make out what it was. I thought to myself to throw the scope up and take a look to see if I might be able to make out what it was. When I threw it up and looked I didn't see anything then all at once he walked into the view of my scope. I could tell that he was a buck that I would be intrested in taking a closer look at. After watching him and realizing that he was a buck that I would take. The only shot that I had was a shot that was about 130 yards and he wasn't going to get any closer. I shot and could tell right away that I had made a good shot because he was digging as he run off. I couldn't wait any longer so I got down and walked in the direction that I had last saw him. When I got to that point I found blood right away and started following it slowly. I had gone about 40 yards and heard something that made me look up only to see the buck that I had just shot stand up. Without even thinking I made a second shot as he begain to run off. I didn't see just where he had gone because of the smoke from my Black powder gun. But once it cleared a saw him about 5 yards from where he was when I had heard him get up.

:saluting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

nice. is that the big boy you were after?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Sweet work brother!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm

No this was about 3/4 of a mile away from the ole big boy stand.
Bossman

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

nice job!

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Great job!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Well here we are at day 8 of the M/L season and my vacation it comming to an end and really think that I should have taken the second week instead of the first week because just yesterday I've started seeing bucks chase does. Now that the full moon is here and the weather is going to be cooler this next week I feel that the big chase will be in full rut next week. I guess that is par for the course. I've seen several bucks this week and passed on most of them. Ole Big Boy has Eluded me so far this season but will continue to search for him.

Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Well, I guess that there is a little bit of closure to the "Ole Big Boy" story. On one of the hunts to the stand I heard several buzzards flying up about 150 yards from the stand. That morning I only saw one of the 6 points from the stand and after the hunt I got down and had to go see what the buzzards wereafter. What I found was a little dissapointing to me because it a buck that someone had shot. The worst part was that whoever shot him had just cut the horns off and left it. I say this because I had keep up with the hunting that had been done in the area. I found the buck only a day or two after it was shot and you could tell that it had been a well placed shot and wasn't a lost deer. It was close to the club border and may have been someone that slipped in and poached horns. From this point on I,ve only seen one of the 6 point on a regular basis, so i suppect that is what was shot. Since I've been stuck at the house for the last couple of weeks do to having broke my wrist I haven't been able to hunt. I rode to the club yesterday and found out the someone had hunted in that block and killed a nice 8 point. Well that is hunting and can't help the out come. And I'm still in no shape to hunt yet.

Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Should I go, or should I wait?

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Dam sucks. Stop swan diving into parked boats! Lol

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm

that's what happens when you strike the Capt Morgan pose with your catch.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 am

Bossman, That really makes me hot to hear about a lowlife that would waste good meat for a set of antlers. I shouldn't have read this as I'm fixin' to head out the door for church, it gives me a bad attitude! Rouge will be rouges, but that takes the cake! :hang Treefarmer

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”