Feeder and stand all ready.

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Feeder and stand all ready.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:46 pm

I have no idea why companies make features of the plastic. My plastic feed it was pretty much squirrel bait so I went to an all metal feeder! Got the stand freshened up too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Feeder and stand all ready.

Post by treefarmer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 pm

I made my feeders from the orange plastic pickle barrels and the squirrels have been doing a number on the lids which are 2 piece, a lid and a rim, sorta' like a caning jar. Been using them for better than 10 years but the squirrels have about won the battle. Duck tape has been the answer for years but this summer they've almost destroyed them. Mine hang on a tripod with a boat winch and cable to lower it to fill it without needing a ladder. Tried to find new lids and rings but so far have not been successful.
Your set up looks great! I'm guessing your feeder motor is directional from the corn on the ground, I have never tried one like that. Always used a 360 degree spinner or just a plate below the cone to allow the deer to use it as a gravity feeder. The big ones lick it off the plate and lots falls to the ground where the fawns pick it up. Not as ideal as a spinner but it does work.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Feeder and stand all ready.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am

No mines 360! Just dumped 100lbs of rotted corn in the ground there.. squirrels ate a hole, water got in, corn mushed up.

treefarmer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 pm
I made my feeders from the orange plastic pickle barrels and the squirrels have been doing a number on the lids which are 2 piece, a lid and a rim, sorta' like a caning jar. Been using them for better than 10 years but the squirrels have about won the battle. Duck tape has been the answer for years but this summer they've almost destroyed them. Mine hang on a tripod with a boat winch and cable to lower it to fill it without needing a ladder. Tried to find new lids and rings but so far have not been successful.
Your set up looks great! I'm guessing your feeder motor is directional from the corn on the ground, I have never tried one like that. Always used a 360 degree spinner or just a plate below the cone to allow the deer to use it as a gravity feeder. The big ones lick it off the plate and lots falls to the ground where the fawns pick it up. Not as ideal as a spinner but it does work.
Treefarmer

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”