Setup question

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Setup question

Post by Kortsman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:41 pm

A few weeks ago I was in the woods setup in an area that had a lot of palms, a few large oaks and a thick nasty swamp head. I was setup in a palm tree that was looking at the thick stuff about 30-40 yards in front of me. I could see the oaks to my left, right and behind me. I had a deer sneek up behind me and stopped a little too far back to my left for me to get a shot. It made me question whether I should have setup right up against the thick stuff and looked out into the more open hardwood/palm area. If I would have setup the opposite way, I would have seen that deer come towards me. What do you all think? Was I setup facing the right way?

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Setup question

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Not tryin' to be a wise guy, but if you had set up the other way he would have probably come in from a different direction too. Sounds like you were in the right place, if you were facing into the wind, he was walking into the wind so he was behind you. I've tried to figure them out, they come into an area 100 yards from where you are, next evening move closer and they will always come in right where you were the day before :taz but sooner or later, if you have the time, he'll come out and you can load him in the truck!
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:12 am

When I hunt an area where I think the deer can come from any direction, I try to climb as high as I feel safe doing. This gives you a better vantage point. The main spot I am hunting now will wear your neck out trying to watch all directions. Also try to put something at your back, whether it be a limb off of another tree, another tree, or whatever to break your silhouette
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:07 am

This past off season i tried to created funnels coming into one of my stands that is in planted pines. I used brush that i cut around the food plot in the pines to block around the area only leaving the main trails open and i cleaned though trails up a little coming into the plot and it had really worked. Now i only have to watch a couple trails and moving around scanning the whole plots for something walking in. The deer dont seem to mind but they also like to hang around when I'm not in the stand or at another stand....
I like animals, they are tasty!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:02 pm

cant say witch direction was the wind. Also second guessing your self never pans out. You move and you may lose.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Don't get in a hurry to climb I have been in a hurry and once I'm up the tree have to climb down because I can't see. Important to have a little something behind you.
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:51 pm

There's an unwritten rule in hunting that you should hunt a spot 3 times before you move. 1 deer could be a fluke. Hunt it a couple more times ND see if they come from the same direction again. Then move
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:17 pm

Last time I hunted that area, I had a train of hogs come through next to the tree that I described in the first post. Of course I wasn't sitting there so I marked that spot. I named that spot hog highway. I've never seen them since... All I know is that I really don't know much about hunting! lol.. At least I'm seeing game.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:30 pm

We all have solutions and ideas how to hunt these animals but guess what??? We are rarely right! they will almost always come from where you're not looking.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:10 pm

If you're seeing game you are in the right spot.....or close to it :)

This past weekend I got a refresher in how hard it can be to get deer in range......have been literally covered in deer within 20 yrds but just can not get a shot.

Had one come out 50 yrds from me Saturday...swirling wind to his direction occasionally. I saw him moving thru the cover and got my bow off the hanger before he stepped into the clear. He almost immediately picked me out on the tree and we had a 5 minute stare down. Duck hunters shooting and he never flinched. I had some cover with other trees behind me. Not like he was looking thru me to clear blue skies........turned and waved good bye with a few bounds. Been a long time since I've had a deer THAT alert to what was going on. But the pressure has been on pretty heavy for the last few weeks.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”