Got The Call

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Got The Call

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Just received the call that 1 of the 2 owners I lease from is starting to cut timber. However, they are cutting their entire 650 acres, represents 65% of my lease and its not just a thinning, its a seed cut. Should be done by the end of archery season, which happens to be the best hunting on my lease. Of all the times to get started and finish, they had to pick now. I understand we will be seeing a ton of deer out in the cut over when fresh, but man moving and reinstalling all the stands is going to be a pain in the arse. Any ideas on the best way to work around these guys during archery, tips for hunting fresh cut overs with a bow. We will still have some swamps, cypress heads and low areas that will not be touched. I am just afraid if my guys all focus on trails leading out of these heads it will turn the deer nocturnal. We will still have +/- 350 acres of timber untouched also surrounded by swamp but I cant have 6 guys all focusing on this area either.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: Got The Call

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:01 pm

I was on my lease 4 years. It takes about 3 years to get a good spot producing. They clear cut me and i left.

That lease the president was buddy buddy with the timber co. If you crossed them you would get clear cut.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:57 pm

get off the clear cut and move 20-30 yrds into the heads....deer usually stage in those areas prior to moving in to feed. that's my bow strategy around any open feeding areas. from a distance try and pin point where the deer like to enter then set a plan.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:I was on my lease 4 years. It takes about 3 years to get a good spot producing. They clear cut me and i left.

That lease the president was buddy buddy with the timber co. If you crossed them you would get clear cut.

For those on pine leases...something I've found pretty useful is google earth and the historic date slide.

Where I am, the timber seems to be on a 20y plan. Cut after 20+- yrs. After they single row it, you got 3-4 yrs left.

For a lease president to conspire with a timber company is almost as funny as Trump being a serious contender for President :eek

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:17 pm

FLQuacker wrote:
Cr0ck1 wrote:I was on my lease 4 years. It takes about 3 years to get a good spot producing. They clear cut me and i left.

For those on pine leases...something I've found pretty useful is google earth and the historic date slide.

Where I am, the timber seems to be on a 20y plan. Cut after 20+- yrs. After they single row it, you got 3-4 yrs left.

For a lease president to conspire with a timber company is almost as funny as Trump being a serious contender for President :eek
Ive seen it done to plenty of people bud.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”