accuracy out of muzzleloader

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: accuracy out of muzzleloader

Post by Stonehenge » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 pm

I Wouldnt Call It Struggling For Two Years. More Just Settlin.
Do your best and forget the rest.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:31 am

Stonehenge wrote:Tried Several Different Bullets And Grains. Never Able To Group Better Than 5Inch Group. Today I Tried Pyrodex Rs Loose Powder And Consistantly Shooting 1 Inch Group At 100. Turns Out Its Not The Bullets But The Propellant. I Was Using 777 Pellets, Glad I Switched To Loose. Just In Time Fot Upper Hills This Weekend!

Just noticed this post I have an old tradition 209 E bolt that's the same way it likes 110 grains of ff bp and a 245 grain projectile. with 777 pellets it a pie plate pattern

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:29 pm

I think I ruined my m/l. This week I have been doing my "once a year, drag all guns out and clean them, whether they need it or not"..I found that I never cleaned my muzzleloader. I remember the last day of M/l before gun season started I killed a hog in the morning, and another one in the afternoon. I put it in the case and drug my 243 out the next day.

I spent over 2 hours on that gun alone scrubbing with a brass brush and running patches thru it. Still a bit of corrosion in the barrel and I can't really tell how bad it is. I finally packed the barrel with patches soaked in solvent and am going to leave it till next week, and work on it some more. No telling where it will shoot now.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Might as well count it as a loss and go traditional. Contact Supercracker and have you one made.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I think I ruined my m/l. This week I have been doing my "once a year, drag all guns out and clean them, whether they need it or not"..I found that I never cleaned my muzzleloader. I remember the last day of M/l before gun season started I killed a hog in the morning, and another one in the afternoon. I put it in the case and drug my 243 out the next day.

I spent over 2 hours on that gun alone scrubbing with a brass brush and running patches thru it. Still a bit of corrosion in the barrel and I can't really tell how bad it is. I finally packed the barrel with patches soaked in solvent and am going to leave it till next week, and work on it some more. No telling where it will shoot now.
That stinks man. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:04 pm

My cva is a barrel ruster all day long.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 pm

my cva did the same thing one time after i cleaned it....guess i had not cleaned it good enough. good luck getting it clean!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 am

Had that happen with a CVA Missouri it loved pyrodex though I did not.I cleaned the gun but alas not good enough and bam rusted bbl.It took a few weeks of work with brush and plenty of moose milk but it still shoots good.
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”