shell cracker beds

Discuss all your Freshwater Fishing here. Tell us about that killer bass you caught!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

honestjim

shell cracker beds

Post by honestjim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 pm

lake port okeechobee shell crackerbeds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: shell cracker beds

Post by bodysnatcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:11 pm

That's a good size area.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Dayum! I love catching shellcrackers with crickets on a cane pole, or using a lightweight outfit and some beetlespins!

When was the picture taken? I want to fish Big O this year when the bass are bedding and schooling. Might try to get over there for some specks soon, too. I haven't done any freshwater fishing in a LOOOOOONG time!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 pm

That's what I'm taklin' about. Lake Pannosoffokee is my favorite spot.

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 pm

I love it when you can smell them on the beds. They call shellcrackers "chinquapins" (chinky-pins) in Louisiana, and we used to catch some big ones there! Just remembering the fun it was makes me want to go buy some cane poles!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

honestjim

Post by honestjim » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:14 am

pic was taken in july 2006 before they drained lake. now lake level pretty good. if they leave it alone. hope to speck fish next week.cold weather should turn them on.we will see

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 am

Reminds me of the old days
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

flhuntfish
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by flhuntfish » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:That's what I'm taklin' about. Lake Pannosoffokee is my favorite spot.
+1 on Lake Pannosoffkee! Our camp is in town right next to Jumper Creek WMA. We tear up the bass and specks on the lake. Duck hunt it too :toast

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:14 pm

honestjim wrote:pic was taken in july 2006 before they drained lake. now lake level pretty good. if they leave it alone. hope to speck fish next week.cold weather should turn them on.we will see
If you're going on the weekend and want some company, shoot me a PM. Specks are a lot of fun, especially if you get into some slabs!
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 pm

I wish somebody would teach me to catch specks. I swear that's the one fish I have never had any luck with.

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm

GoodOyster wrote:
honestjim wrote:pic was taken in july 2006 before they drained lake. now lake level pretty good. if they leave it alone. hope to speck fish next week.cold weather should turn them on.we will see
If you're going on the weekend and want some company, shoot me a PM. Specks are a lot of fun, especially if you get into some slabs!
Ya gotta find the cover! A sunken tree or brushpile, then jig some white beetlespins along the edges, just into the cover. Or use some live minnows with a small split shot under a bobber. Summertime you can drift the big lakes with minnows and catch a mess. They are a schooling fish, so when you catch one there are others around.

Let's go fishing! I wouldn't mind coming up and fishing Panosafokee (sp?) sometime. Fished it with my dad when I was a boy, he knew it pretty well. We also spent some time on Lake Kissimmee, all around Brahma Island, when my Pawpaw bought a trailer on the south side of the lake.

Been a long time since I fished like that, but years of catching fish in practically every state along I-10 except California (plus a few others) taught me well.
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “BASS FISHING AND ALL FRESHWATER FORUM”