Pigs got out from the trap...

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Pigs got out from the trap...

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 pm

you need to put that door so it folds UP to open. Basically flip it to the right then they have to "lift it to get in" and then cannot possibly get out unless one comes in and one comes out at the same time.

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Have to concur with HB here. Mick builds some nice traps at a great price. Might even be able to convince him to build you one in panels that you can bolt together onsite if transporting it to where the hogs are is an issue.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 am

I will add the bottom with my fencing materials. And about the heavy door spring, how heavy you mean? I remember I seeing one from Lowes and it was really hard to pull... Like literally I had to use my full force to pull few inches.

And I can change to up side down style. And about the bungee cord thingy... I can move that pole little further back so the bungee cord gets tighter. And after when they came and ate all the corns and got out, I double fenced that trap in case they try to get out. But I will add floors tomorrow morning.

It ain't pretty looking trap but we're not financially capable to build or purchase whole entire professnional trap so we just made it with what we could get without spending too much money.

And thank you guys for your help.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:are you kidding me with that baby partition door? get a bug one in there hell tear it down..

But seriously tho. How long were the hogs in the trap? Someone might of let them out because they were in there too long and needed water.. This does happen.. You have to check that trap every day.
When all the corns disappeared and no pigs, thats when I checked the trap after two days since I baited with corns. But there were no forced entrance or exit, fences were still tight as can be, no evicende of trying to escape through the bottom. Maybe like "Hellbilly" said, bungee cord wasn't strong and capable enough to keep that door shut....Im gonna try to reposition the bungee cord so it gets tighter and shuts the door alot faster and provide more tension.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:22 am

Put 3 or 4 bungees on there, and check it more often.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 am

CWFAsian1129 wrote:
Cr0ck1 wrote:are you kidding me with that baby partition door? get a bug one in there hell tear it down..
But seriously tho. How long were the hogs in the trap? Someone might of let them out because they were in there too long and needed water.. This does happen.. You have to check that trap every day.

When all the corns disappeared and no pigs, thats when I checked the trap after two days since I baited with corns. But there were no forced entrance or exit, fences were still tight as can be, no evicende of trying to escape through the bottom. Maybe like "Hellbilly" said, bungee cord wasn't strong and capable enough to keep that door shut....Im gonna try to reposition the bungee cord so it gets tighter and shuts the door alot faster and provide more tension.
[/quote]
but you would see mudd or rubb marks hard on the side of the wood from them squeezing out.. I think someone let them out.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:54 pm

I just repositioned the bungee cord alot tighter but not too too tight so lets see what happens.

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Well, if you know they are getting in there and eating the corn, then, to be sure that they aren't opening the trap door on their own, you should install the gate latch. That way, when they do trip the trap door, it will not open until you are ready to open it. Just be sure you install a piece of stainless steel fishing leader cable to the latch so that you don't have to reach in there to open it up, unless, of course, you plan on putting the hogs down while they are in the trap.

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:50 pm

LMAO I can't wait till that big 200# boar finds himself inside that third world hog trap. The after pic's should be amusing. Dude your gonna hurt! I would reconsider your trap building plans.

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh and it's the squirrels, raccoons,and birds eating all your corn. But for real your gonna get hurt catching a hog in that weak trap. Even a pissed off 45# pig will straight destroy that trap. Just be careful as you approach that reinforced swing door!!!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 pm

john l wrote:Oh and it's the squirrels, raccoons,and birds eating all your corn. But for real your gonna get hurt catching a hog in that weak trap. Even a pissed off 45# pig will straight destroy that trap. Just be careful as you approach that reinforced swing door!!!
seriously man.. john is right.. have you ever came face to face with a pissed off hog in a trap? Not to be sarcastic but a pissed off hog will head bunt that trap a couple times and break out to the other side and hand you your asss man. Im speaking from EXPERIENCE. Hogs are not dogs. They will push that trap wide open and haul asss towards you like its no ones job. and a pissed off one will just be like a 300 lb drunk cowboy on crack looking for a fight in a bar.

Take my advice and please use at least use.. a 2x4 double frame with a 3/4 inch piece of ply wood that drops down when they root up the trigger. Don't worry about catching more then one start off small.. One pissed off hog is better then 3.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:40 am

haha thank you guys for your advice. And I totally understand that the trap is piece of crap. Because thats what I thought at the first time as well. But like I said, I am not financially capable to do all that. I got all those materials for free. The only thing I paid were zipties lol And I do not have any transportation to carry out box trap out there and I can't even do that because it is a golf course community and they're not allowing us to drive our truck to go there... And even if they do, there is no way to get there... Only entrance is wooden bridge and it kinda shakes even when a golf cart passes by... And the other entrance is basically too narrow for even a car to go through and all the sides are brakish river that holds deep deep deep muds...Im 5'11'' and I sink up to my waist...

And when we saw pigs one night, they weren't huge. They were looked like about between 80-150lb size pigs.

Ah well if they destroy trap, then I build it again with different idea or something haha

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:54 am

And I never trapped pig before so I do not know how fierce or strong they are once they get trapped. But I believe they'll get nasty once they get trapped like you guys were saying haha

Well lets see what happens and if something happens. And thank you guys for your advice

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:22 am

There is a trap on my hunting lease. I thought it was pretty damn strong. I checked it one morning and had 5 in it. Before I could walk to my truck and back, they made a hole and were gone
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”