Fruits of my labor

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Fruits of my labor

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 am

CanadianBlackBears wrote:I have never known anyone to hang a deer for 14 days in my life and maybe that is why the burger taste so gamey compared to the great taste of the steaks and roasts. I am going to try this in the fall when I get my deer; hopefully it won't be ruined as we are only allowed to bag 1 deer.

Thanks for the tip treefarmer

You know rereading this post. Your ground should not be any more gammy than your steaks. The way i find that to happen is when i have a gut shoot deer. Take care when gutting and wash- hose the cavity down. One little spec of gut fluid - release a bacteria toss the gut casing any meat that touched the inside of the deer. It can make a big difference

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Fruits of my labor

Post by treefarmer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:09 am

I agree with your post 100% TerribleTed! You can't be too clean when processing. Fortunately all of our hunting is very close to home these days , so we never field dress a deer in the woods. So after he loses his hide, he is then gutted and a water hose is always close at hand. After breaking down and cutting, all the trim is usually put with the shoulders, neck, shanks and rib meat for sausage and this is the area of concern for spoilage from bacteria, dirt, etc. that might be on a piece of meat trim. Thus the importance of the Prague Powder/curing salt in the sausage mix to help control any thing that might accidentally be in the sausage material. Sodium nitrite is what does the work. Treefarmer

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”