Too early to plant spring garden?

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Too early to plant spring garden?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I know most stuff should be planted in March. With this abnormally warm winter, wondering if it would be safe to plant some seeds? I'm sure soon as I do it will come a hard freeze
I drug the tiller out today and went to town breaking ground in various spots. It tilled up nicely, but I had to quit before I had the entire yard tilled up.
Now it's killing me looking at bare dirt with nothing planted in it.........
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Too early to plant spring garden?

Post by X711 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 pm

was just thinking the same thing.
have garden ready, seeds in hand
should plant some or not???

was thinking about just doing some of the things that prefer the cooler temps.. maybe???

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Iluv2hunt,

Many years ago, when we lived in central Florida, I worked for Duda Farms for a short time. They planted very early on the muck at Zellwood and if a freeze came , they replanted the next day or so. If you make the early crop you make big bucks, if you wait you make a crop but the money isn't the same.

I know you are talking about your home garden and the only loss, besides time will be the seed that germinates and then freezes or seed that never germinates because of wet cold soil. Fertlizer loss shouldn't be an issue. Garden seed cost seem to be very high the last few years, just like the deer corn. It sure doesn't hurt to prepare your garden site and let it set for a few weeks or a month all you have to do then is fluff it and plant. Letting it set for a few weeks might even help with weed or grass control, as you would be able to destroy the junk that sprouts no matter what the weather does.

Treefarmer

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 pm

These temps won't stay. End of January and through February should drop a lot. Are you planting things that could take the cold if old enough when it hits?

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 am

treefarmer wrote:Iluv2hunt,

Many years ago, when we lived in central Florida, I worked for Duda Farms for a short time. They planted very early on the muck at Zellwood and if a freeze came , they replanted the next day or so. If you make the early crop you make big bucks, if you wait you make a crop but the money isn't the same.

I know you are talking about your home garden and the only loss, besides time will be the seed that germinates and then freezes or seed that never germinates because of wet cold soil. Fertlizer loss shouldn't be an issue. Garden seed cost seem to be very high the last few years, just like the deer corn. It sure doesn't hurt to prepare your garden site and let it set for a few weeks or a month all you have to do then is fluff it and plant. Letting it set for a few weeks might even help with weed or grass control, as you would be able to destroy the junk that sprouts no matter what the weather does.

Treefarmer
In high school my cousin and I worked for an agricultural lab in Lakeland, and we used to get in muck and soil samples in from Duda Farms. Some of that stuff was pretty rank smelling! We called it "Doo-doo Farms" (hey, we were in high school!). We had to dry it out and crush up the lumps, run it through a screen, then take a few scoops and put them in a small paper sack, numbered for testing. Every time someone mentions "muck" I have a memory of how that stuff smelled. Sure would grow some veggies, though!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 am

I remembered I have a variety of lettuce seeds on hand. Gonna go ahead and plant them today and also plant some broccoli, egg plant and cauliflower. All those are good for a January planting
The rest I will wait on
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”