Spring garden 2012

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Spring garden 2012

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I have carrots, beans, cukecumbers and watermelon in the ground. I use 100% black kow to plant in. I cannot grow maters worth a hoot. gave up on them. have good luck with everything else.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am

Iluv2hunt wrote: Its a guessing game on how well they will germinate. I planted some but they haven't sprouted yet. They are a PIA to grow

A tip I learned on planting pepper seeds. Soak them in water with just a splash of hydrogen peroxide(like one teaspoon to a bottle of water) for 12-24 hours before planting. Supposed to really increase germination rates. So far I believe it. I am up to about 80% germination of the seeds I planted 2-3 weeks ago.
I was starting to get worried, I used your advice and put them in my small seed starter. I hadn't seen anything for 10+ days, then 1st thing this morning the scotch bonnets are starting to rise. Is this typical? I still haven't seen a tobasco, halapeno or cayenne break the surface yet. I hope they make it, I was sure I had the soil too moist, thought they were going to rot or something.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Thehotpepper.com

I've been reading that site and learning a bunch of stuff. I have a ghost pepper and a trinidad 7 pot primo plant in the garden this year. Going to pretty much melt my face off this year... Looking forward to trying out the mango/pineapple hot sauce.

That site has good advice on planting and germinating seeds.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Triple Creek Reaper, Don't give up on them just yet. I have a small hand full of hot's going. Some of the same type took an extra 10 day's to come up.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm

put seeds in damp non scented tissue paper and keep in a dark spot, then transfer to soil when they sprout. Honestly though I usualy get things already started in pots from a nursery, but you won't get the selection like starting from seeds and it costs a lot more.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote: Its a guessing game on how well they will germinate. I planted some but they haven't sprouted yet. They are a PIA to grow

A tip I learned on planting pepper seeds. Soak them in water with just a splash of hydrogen peroxide(like one teaspoon to a bottle of water) for 12-24 hours before planting. Supposed to really increase germination rates. So far I believe it. I am up to about 80% germination of the seeds I planted 2-3 weeks ago.
I was starting to get worried, I used your advice and put them in my small seed starter. I hadn't seen anything for 10+ days, then 1st thing this morning the scotch bonnets are starting to rise. Is this typical? I still haven't seen a tobasco, halapeno or cayenne break the surface yet. I hope they make it, I was sure I had the soil too moist, thought they were going to rot or something.
The first week of a seedlins life is critical if you get the soil too moist. You will get root rot very easily and they will croak
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

All I needed was a little more patience, something I usually have in short supply. Got to 100% germination of the scotch bonnets, long reds, hot cow and jalapeno's. Sitting at 50% on the tobasco and cayenne. In the last 2 days, about 70% of my bell peppers sprouted as well. Now I have to find room for them all.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Some of my older plants. Almost all of them are either loaded with peppers, or in full bloom

This years seedlings I just potted up

A few more that weren't quite big enough to transplant yet. And another tray of seeds I planted this afternoon

My lame azz garden this year. I am going to be expanding it soon

Oh yeah, my girlfriends eating sweet taters. Lmao
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 pm

See if this works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Some more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Hey bodysnatcher, Good lookin' garden, raised beds, etc. What kind of a squash or punkin' is that you're holding? We're just getting our garden site prepared, a litttle bit late but on the other hand we've had temperatures in the high 40's and low 50's all last week in the mornings here in Washinton County. Noyhing beats good fresh vegetables from your own patch! Treefarmer

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 am

Well we'll have to change your screen name from bodysnatcher to Farmer Tim!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

treefarmer wrote:Hey bodysnatcher, Good lookin' garden, raised beds, etc. What kind of a squash or punkin' is that you're holding? We're just getting our garden site prepared, a litttle bit late but on the other hand we've had temperatures in the high 40's and low 50's all last week in the mornings here in Washinton County. Noyhing beats good fresh vegetables from your own patch! Treefarmer
That's a Banana squash and a small one at that. They can get up to 4 foot and 70lbs.. Average size2 foot and 10 lbs..

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Nice work Tim

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Brought my tiller home. I could not get it cranked but soon as I do I will be expanding my garden and putting in some small other ones in areas around the house

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”