Hog down

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ario
scout

Hog down

Post by ario » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:15 am

I went to hunting camp Sat. the 6th. for 5 days up in Nassau County. Deer hunting was slow so I got in my ground blind a few nights. The blind is about 25-30 yards from a 30 gallon feeder and I have been getting good Hog activity. The first night was unevent full and stayed to about 23:00 hrs. The second night I got in the blind at 19:00 but, I fell a sleep an hour later. I had been up since 05:30 and was just too tired. At around 21:00 hrs. I woke up and looked out the blind. I saw movement. I hit the light on the gun to find a group of Hogs sucking up corn under the feeder. There was a big boy in the group but, I wanted a good BBQ size Hog. So I picked a cinnamon colored one and lined up the scope. I squeezed the trigger only to get a click. WTF! A gun malfunction. I cleared and reloaded a fresh round in the gun but when I took aim again, they were gone. Well, it turned out it was not a gun malfunction but an operator error. I hunt with an AR (6.8 cal) and in order to not make noise, I racked the rifle too softly. The bolt carrier was not seated properly and all I had to do was to hit the bolt assist after racking the gun a few times. The stupid thing is this happened to me once before and didn't learn from it. That night I stayed in the blind all night. It was F…… cold! The third night I was ready. I had shot my gun during the day to insure all was ok. I got in the blind again at 19:00 with a portable space heater and a thermos full of coffee. At just after midnight I hear sound from under the feeder and turn on my rifle mounted green light. I again picked out a Hog I liked and shots ran out. I put him down with one shot and he was not going anywhere but he was still kicking and I put a second round in his head to end it.

Entrance hole.

Exit hole. (broke two ribs)

Head shot.

Last Sunday after 7 hrs of cooking.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Sweet deal... I've loaded up in the stand tonight to see if I can wax one also. I see corn on the ground but the spinner plate is empty. At least I know when it went empty
Bossman

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Hog down

Post by Kortsman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 pm

That last pic looks awesome!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 pm

Y'all are havin' too much fun. layin' out at night, huntin' them squealers! Looks good on the grill glad to read of your success.
Treefarmer

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:00 am

That looks like a good dinner. How long did it take to cook like that

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:00 am

Wow I just seen the date, I am behind times lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 am

were all behind!

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”