ACORNS

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

frankwt

Re: ACORNS

Post by frankwt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Dony, you are right, the soybeans did not stop them. I turned off my feeder for 2 weeks and hand threw corn and dog food, the bears stopped coming.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by DONY1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:08 pm

They key in on hearing the feeders. My buddy tossed corn and was getting up to 100 pics a day while the rest of us were getting squat at the feeders.

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Same thing happend to me when I turned off the feeders.

Jubee100
scout

Post by Jubee100 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

The bears will eat them... Granted I poured stump licker on them but he ate 'em like they were going out of style. I have a ton of trees hat dropped acorns last year on my driveway and I swept 'em up and took 'em to camp. They disappeared pretty quick and it didn't cost anything but time. But I just threw 'em around or piled 'em up. No feeders.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:20 pm

DONY1 wrote:They key in on hearing the feeders. My buddy tossed corn and was getting up to 100 pics a day while the rest of us were getting squat at the feeders.
i could of sworn i saw some quiet feeders.. then again a bump feeder is good and quiet but if they find that, they are gonna rip it down. maybee throwing moth balls will keep them away,, i know it keeps cats away.. dont know what it would do to deer but hogs will probably eat them.. they eat anything.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 pm

another thing.. i will not say anything will keep bears away.. BUT.. i allways keep my feeders going on only in the morning for 3 seconds and didnt have a bear.. When you got alot of feed on the ground then theres some left for the bears ... The day i put my feeder on for 6 seconds day and night i had a bear that week. ON my new lease i have it only going off for 3 seconds in the morning. Ill see if my system is right in a couple months.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 am

davedirt wrote:JUST DID A SEARCH AND THE FL. BLACK BEARS EAT THEM LIKE CORN SO THERE GOES THE FEEDER IDEA.

A search. Lets see momma in oak 15 feet away bending down a limb thicker than my arm. Oh wait it her weight bending it down. she in the oak tree cubs must be 30 feet up. I only have a bow. Don't move she has not seen me yet.

Jubee100
scout

Post by Jubee100 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 am

I think I mentioned this already but if you don't want bears coming around never use stumplicker or any molasses type scents or your just asking for trouble or at the least a new feeder. We have a homemade PVC blind with nothing but a burlap wrap on it. I puts acorns and stumplicker down and 20 mins in my blind and I had a bear 75 yards away eyeballin me while it ate all my acorns. Not a comfortable feeling looking at a bear at eye level even 75 yards away! But he didn't like me as much as I didn't like him being there..

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I had that mama bear and her cub 10 to 15 feet directly under me. I could of stuck 4 mature bears that day all within 10 yards. I was defiantly on the wrong trail.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm

This year was the largest acorn crop Ive ever witnessed. I have 13 oaks in my yard. I literally had acorns start dropping in September, and still have an odd one STILL dropping in the front yard
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I would put this years acorn as the longest. I can say i seen acorns so heavy they covered the ground they covered the leaves the grass nothing but acorns. Now Acorns were still dropping 3 weeks ago were i was.

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”